Call for Grant Proposals Closed for 2016-2017. Please Check Back Fall 2017.
Grants for Media Production * Apply by November 30, 2016 * COLA Grad Students & Faculty
The College of Liberal Arts is pleased to announce the Humanities Media Project Grants Program for 2016-2017. This program assists UT-Austin’s liberal arts graduate students and faculty in their efforts to use media to promote the humanities beyond traditional academic audiences. The college’s hope is that these efforts will result in a greater understanding of and appreciation for the humanities.
We welcome proposals for the production of original audio, video, and/or new media content related to the academic humanities. Serial projects are preferred, but one-time projects also will be considered. All projects must contain a substantial multimedia component and plans for dissemination to both academic and non-academic audiences.
Possible formats include but are not limited to:
- Interactive website
- Interactive audio tour
- Photography series
Content produced as part of this grant program may be published online and/or distributed via radio or television. For instance, grantees might publish their content on iTunes U and/or YouTube, or submit their work to NPR or PBS affiliates.
In support of these efforts, the program is able to provide the four winning projects with up to $5,000 in funds to support research assistance, travel, materials, equipment and studio rental, and other reasonable expenses.
Sample Proposal Ideas
- Create an audio series around a specific topic or area of study that might be useful in college For instance, HMP currently sponsors the Mere Rhetoric podcast, in which a scholar of rhetoric explores concepts significant to her field. Mere Rhetoric is required listening in introductory rhetoric courses across the country.
- Develop an interactive audio tour to help preserve knowledge and promote awareness of history and culture in a particular
- Translate your research into an interactive website, video or film, or app.
Proposals Due: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 by 5p.m.(CST)
Notification: Early January 2017
Awards Distributed: Mid to late January 2017
Project Completion Deadline: Friday, September 1, 2017
Required Application Materials
- 2-3 page project description and justification that should include
- An overview of the project
- Explanation of why the project is important and how it will meet the goals of this program
- Plan for how the project will be produced using HMP resources and those from other sources
- List of potential project personnel and work locations
- Rough timeline for the completion of the project (Note: projects must be completed and ready to publish/circulate within six months of receipt of the award)
- Plan for dissemination of the materials produced by the project
- Itemized budget for the project. Possible expenses include
- Personnel (Note: grant funds cannot be used to supplement faculty salaries but can be used to provide stipends/payments to graduate students or others who are assisting with the project)
- Usage or publishing fees
- Examples, if any, of similar projects already undertaken or completed
- Current curriculum vitae
Application Submission and Questions
Completed applications should be emailed to the Humanities Media Project (HMP@utexas.edu). Electronic submissions are preferred, but physical application packets can be sent via inter-campus mail to: Victoria Davis at Mail Code F1900. Please direct any inquiries to Victoria Davis at HMP@utexas.edu.
|Applicant Expense||Grant Expense||Notes|
|Light Kit Rental||$0||$300|
|*Grant may pay stipend for graduate student applicants or assistants only.
**HMP grantees may have the option of using UT-owned software and equipment
Photo: CC Andra 2011